7/05/2011

Were back!


It’s 5/9/11, and early this morning we arrived in Panama for the 4th time. First to transit the canal, and then times we return to Panama due to unfortunate situations while sailing near Isla Malpelo. Now after 8 months of probing me, poisoning me, scanning me, nearly cooking me to death, just plain making me think the treatment was worse than the disease, we’re back.




It’s 5/10/11 at 5am, and I can’t sleep. I lay there thinking about seeing Imagine. I think about what there will be to do to get her ready, but mostly I think this is probably the beginning of the end of our relationship.
May 2011- Panama







Goodbye Chemo, Hello Detox!







January 2011- Hospitalized due to Dehydration-Radiation side effects



Early March still on feeding tube

End of March 2011 - no more feeding tube


April with Linda Mashburn on his 60th bday

With Vikki Marver at Hayward, CA early May






It’s 5/10/11 at 5am, and I can’t sleep. I lay there thinking about seeing Imagine. I think about what there will be to do to get her ready, but mostly I think this is probably the beginning of the end of our relationship.






Boats are kind of like women they need attention. Only problem is they can’t earn money, or make decisions. If you want your boat to be happy, and safe. It takes attention, and sometimes that means money too. Because of this I have always put a priority on the boat. That priority insured our safety, and happiness. My first boat Frolic got in the way of a couple of relationships. Not that I didn’t give attention to the relationship, but I wasn’t able to manage to bring the lady, and boat together. Sailing was my dream, and once I managed to do it. I wasn’t willing to change, and live with WHAT IF’s!









 When the man in the white coat told me to get my life in order. My first thought was I was glad I had lived my life on my terms. My second thought was I have to get Imagine home, and sell her. I will need to sell her, because the economy has not been kind to us. Boats have a tendency to rot when left alone. Leaving them someplace unattended also opens them up to thievery. Already the dinghy was stolen, and set adrift, so the outboard could be taken. I was lucky to regain the outboard, and dinghy through the man who owns the mooring she sits on.



Taboga Island- Panama


Taboga Anchorage





When I met Melanie she asked me once. “ What if I can’t get on the boat? ” My reply was “ Then don’t marry me “. Well she did marry me, and she did get on the boat. She was apprehensive about it all. In my mind if she was willing to carry her bed, food, & clothing on her back to sleep under the stars while hiking mountains. She would surely love to do this too.






It took time, but she learned to appreciate, and love the lifestyle. In short she gave to me what no one else could give. She gave me the chance to live my dream.


Exuma Cay, The Bahamas



Over 8 months is a long time to leave a boat to her own devices. A situation like this brings out the vultures when a boat is for sale. It puts you between a rock, and a hard spot. They want to see you desperate, and as time goes by you may become desperate to sell, and sell for pennies on the dollar.


They tell me they can only prolong my life, so I am left with a decision. Do I let them continue to work on me, and be sick, and miserable. Or do I live my life, and secure Imagine at home, so I can secure a fair dollar for the woman who gave me life, and happiness.






I have made the choice to return to Panama, and Imagine to bring her home. If this shortens my life a wee bit then so be it. I made a promise to care for Melanie, and this is part of fulfilling that promise. I have said for 9 years I would take my last breath in the Philippines. By getting Imagine home, and selling her will fulfill that promise too. I can leave Melanie in the financial situation where she can be her own person, and decide her destiny in life. She can be loved, and cared for by her loving family.
Hawaiian Wedding in Philippines 2006

So this is where the phrase
One man’s race against time comes into play.


I need to accomplish some goals before the clock stops ticking. With no idea when the timer of life will run out. I am not even going to speculate. I am just going to do what I have always done in life, and push my way as far, and as hard as I can to reach my goal.
John at Biscane Bay-Latitude 38 tshirt

I will fade in, and out of our story with Imagine as I tell the story of us getting Imagine home to the S.F. Bay Area. It seems that a life time ago I had a serious life problem, and I began writing. It became my therapy, and helped me survive it. All the while friends, and family would look forward to my e-mails. Hopefully this will be my therapy, and your entertainment as well as my own?
The Grill King

Isla Perlas 2010

Single handed from San Francisco to Cabo San Lucas and back














































































 


 

 
  



No comments:

Post a Comment