7/05/2011

Ian, Frank and Pyle Family

There we were in Daytona. Hurricane season beginning, and tons of anxiety built up with it. Hurricanes were new to Melanie & I. Melanie being from the southern part of Mindanao where the Philippines are free of Typhoons. Eventually one named Irvin, or Ivan was headed for Daytona. Eventually it slipped up the coast 200 miles off. Leaving a tide with the river at the bottom of the fixed docks. I was getting ready to set Imagine in the river as the rise of water began to ebb. It was unnerving as the tv kept reporting it’s position. The dock neighbors kept speculating from their own history of hurricanes. I have only felt helpless a few times in my life, and this was one of them. At last fall was at an end, and winter had set in. It was time to head south & south it was down the ICW, Inter Coastal Waterway, that runs south from the New York area all the way through Texas. The exact ends are a mystery to me for now. I have never actually visited, or taken the time to look at the charts.



ICW in Jacksonville, FL (Main Street Bridge)
Daytona is where we met Ian. A sailor from South African. I an is the kind of man you can leave your wallet, and or wife with. Both will come back untouched, or even peeked at. A gentlemen’s gentleman with a huge heart full of kindness. Also a sailor’s sailor born into the life of sailing. With vast knowledge of the ways of a boat, and the sea. A sense of humor that is as large as his heart. Although it did take me awhile to figure out he was not being rude! Ian is a lover of ice cream. Melanie & I can gobble down ice cream as well as anyone, but Ian seems to take extreme pleasure in the consumption of the product.
Ian is next to John with students from Panama as line handlers in Canal transit 2010

Melanie & I found our way down the ICW. The GPS, and electronic charts began to earn my trust. Of course never 100%. I always keep an eye out for a gremlin sneaking in, and mucking up the unit. South Beach Miami was warm while Daytona was still very cool. We were enjoying this new found warmth while living in swimsuits & shorts.

One warm day while returning from Miami while running a boat errand. I saw the big DQ, Dairy Queen, and asked Mel if she would like to have an ice cream. Just as I knew she would she replied with a big smile, and a bigger YES!


Before I can open the door I recognize a tattered Pepsi ball cap. I step inside, and announce to Melanie. ‘I don’t know if we want to enter here. It seems they will just allow any old sailor through the doors!” The owner looked at me like W.T.F.? I turned around, and we all had a good belly laugh as Ian introduced us. Turns out Jason, the owner, was a dinghy sailor in his youth, and as he got older crewed for his father. DQ became a familiar stop, and Jason, and his lady, Avivit, soon became good friends.


May 2011
Avivit and Jason Pyle

















Soon Biscayne Bay became a familiar place for us. We would motor out from under the Rickenbakker Bridge, and set sail on the Bay. Small chop with a 15-20 knot breeze we would fly along at 7-10 knots. This is definitely no S.F. Bay. We could drop the hook most anywhere, and take a swim. The bottom visible at all times. We would watch the bottom & it’s inhabitants fly by as we sailed.
South beach, Miami

Miami Port Intercoastal waterway-Going to Biscane Bay
Miami
Star Island, South Beach -Miami

Soon Ian introduced us to Frank in the anchorage. One day while trying to pull out a tap that I had broken off in the windlass. Frank ventured by, and in moments he was up on deck with helpful ideas to fix the problem. It seems where ever I go with Frank he knows someone, and where to aquire anything. Frank sent us on our way to a fabrication shop. In a couple of days I returned to find the tap extracted, and the hole rethreaded. Clean work done at a fair price, and on time too. A rarity in this day & time.



Now owning a catamaran is not an easy thing to own when amongst traditional sailors. They look at multi hulls with a distrustful eye, and sometimes just plain contempt. Frank, Ian, and Jason although never said to me, but later admitted they were amongst those who are suspicious of multi hulls.

Individually I invited the three of them for a day sail without knowing of this distrust. After a good sail across the bay, and on the return to our anchorage. Ian said to me that the boat sails fine, but she is making leeway, drifting sideways, and will never make the bridge. I denied this claim, and he asked me to turn on the computer to prove his remark. 15 minutes later we found our track from the stern to be in complete alignment with our course for the bridge.

While sailing with Jason again across the bay, and returning. We were in 18 knots of wind, and fading in & out of 8 & 9 knots of sailing. We were discussing the point of sail, and Jason remarked he never though a multi could sail 45 degrees off the wind, and keep such good speed. With our beers sitting there by themselves on the deck. Jason told me I wasn’t earning it. I asked what am I not earning. He said I am not earning this speed, it seems too easy. I told him the day I paid for the boat I earned everything with it. The next day he told me when Ian introduced us. I an had said I sail a catamaran, and Jason thought “Oh I am sorry”, but he had to take that thought back, and admitted he was very impressed.


Frank’s remark was saved for when we returned to the anchorage after the day’s sail. We were getting in the dinghy so I could return him to his own boat. When he made the remark that it was too late for him to start all over. I asked what he meant by that. He said : I am impressed with how the boat sails. I never thought a cat could do that, and it’s just too late for me to start all over “.


No comments:

Post a Comment